Thursday, September 24, 2009

What do 15 month olds eat?

I figured you could help me. Grace is 15 months and still eats baby food (which smells disgusting). She didn't get her first tooth until 12 months, but now has 4. She quit drinking formula on her own (just up and decided she didn't like it) so I want to feed her nutritious foods. It's down right disgusting how much baby food we go through! Ok, so here's what I've tried. the things she hates are more of a texture issue than taste issue.

she hates bread/muffins/cake, (we made a breakthrough! she ate a cupcake on the 26th!)
loves cookies/cereal/crackers,
hates apples (used to like them)
loves pickles/cucumbers,
won't even try cheese
chokes on things like peas/grapes but likes them(we occasionally use that mesh thing but it's not worth the mess)
gags on canned peaches
hates mashed potatoes (unless they're sweet/yams)
will eat squash if I add butter and brown sugar
sometimes will eat rice
won't eat pasta
haven't tried any meats
loves popsicles
loves milk/fruit milk shakes
not allergic to peanut butter
doesn't like her food warmed
won't try green beans

I know she can chew pretty well now, because she will shove a whole animal cracker in her mouth and generally doesn't choke on it. I don't want to feed her the same things all the time, but not sure how to help her get over this texture thing. Erik blames me because I have a problem with textures too (malto meal, tapioca, and slimy foods like cooked onions).

Any suggestions? I don't want to spend a lot of time mashing things up or cooking if I can help it (it's hard to stand for long periods of time with this morning sickness).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new little one. Having two is so much fun. I might not be the best advice. I just let my girls eat whatever they liked because I was glad to have them eating. So if all they eat for three days in a row were french fries then thats what they eat. We tried various things and would each day offer different things but in the end I was happy with them eating and so was my doctor.

Courtney said...

Congrats on baby #2! That is very exciting. Brooke is just getting to the stage where we are feeding her table food too. So far, she likes crackers and mashed potatoes, but hates pasta and peas or other veggies she has to chew up. At 9 mo she doesn't have any teeth either so it definitely makes it tricky!

Jennifer said...

This one is hard for me because Brandon will eat anything... silly boy. :) But when he is having a picky day, we eat Mac n' cheese. :) Also if you can find it in the store in the isle by the macarroni, there are some noodles called wacky mac that are colored and funny shapes. They don't have a different flavor, just fun shapes that kids can pick up and eat. :)