Monday, March 12, 2012

If you can't say anything nice. . .

I believe that if everyone followed the advice of Thumper's father the world would be a much quieter place, on the other hand, not addressing issues may lead to more hostility.

I've always tried to live by this advice, which is perhaps one of the reasons I have a difficult time making my case, or explaining my emotions.

These days it seems everyone is up in arms over something, ranging from "what not to name your child" to "if you should be allowed to have children." That't not to say that these things an unimportant, but I fear oft times people get too caught up in "who's right?" and forget the bigger picture.

I believe we are all connected. There are unknown similarities to all "mankind." In the past, present, and surely the future, our differences have and may always cloud our judgement. I think all of us are prejudice in one form or another, and it all stems down to not knowing what the similarities are and only seeing the differences.

It's amazing to see how easily someone can be offended by someone who looks, acts, or believes differently than they do. I guess we all have this complex that makes us believe "everyone should be like me." Even those who proclaim EQUALITY FOR ALL are still in this mindset. Anyone who doesn't believe (for whatever reason) that what they're saying is true is being judged by them.

I personally have always been a bit of a fence dweller. Rarely venturing to one side or the other. It has become increasingly difficult to be "complacent" about things these days. Everyone wants to know "where you stand" on every issue. For me, some issues don't directly affect me so I don't really think about them too much, but the ones that do affect me scare me. It's like, what if I am on the wrong side? Is there a wrong side?  I have a hard time with the latter. Is there a wrong side? My religion has always taught that there is in fact a wrong side, but sometimes it's hard to see it. Even when others are telling you it is completely obvious, I still have a hard time taking sides.

For instance, gay rights. I don't know. It doesn't directly affect me. I know some gay people, sure, but what they do is their business. How will it affect me? I don't know. Abortion? Never had one, never needed one. I personally don't think I could do it, but in some cases maybe it is for the best. If someone is strung out on drugs or in some other way incapable being a parent then perhaps getting an abortion is actually merciful not cruel. And so on.

I've always believed one of my most prominent "spiritual gifts" is empathy. In some ways it's a blessing, in other ways it's a curse. If someone feels pain, I feel it too. So when people are arguing, I can't take sides. I can see how both people make good points. I guess that's why I've been told I'm a very agreeable person.  I go out of my way to avoid contention when I can.

Going through this last year I've learned that I have to stop being so agreeable. I have to take a stand. I hate it. I don't want to do it, but I must. I must take a stand if I am ever going to find out who I am and what I . . .well, stand for. 


No comments: